Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 16, 2009

"That's a BIG baby!"

Those were the exact words of the high risk doctor that I went to see today.

I have been hesitant to post about this for the past few days for several reasons. First of all, I needed time to process the information myself but also because I wanted to have answers before I said anything. But, with that being said I use this blog as a baby book of sorts and knew that I needed to record the happenings of the past few days.

It all started Tuesday during my routine 33 week ultrasound. Dr. Patton found 3 concerning factors that lead her to refer me to a high risk specialist for a level 2 ultrasound to see better what Mason was up to.

1. High Amniotic Fluid Levels: When Dr. Patton was first talking about this, I thought what is the big deal? So I have more fluid. Besides it making me look bigger than normal, what is the harm? But later I found out that high fluid levels can be an indicator that something else is wrong as well as possibly cause premature labor.

2. Large Head Measurements: Mason has always been measuring big but some of the measurements, including his head size, were not matching up to his other measurements. Meaning that all of this other measurements were measuring around 1-2 weeks ahead but his head was measuring close to 4 weeks ahead.

3. He Was STILL Breech: This is not concerning yet but coupled with the previous two things was just the icing on the cake. Dr. Patton wanted to make sure that before she began manipulating (like a version) on Mason that everything else was checked out and came back okay...

Which leads us to the high risk doctor. I called the minute I left Dr. Patton's office and they wanted to see me on the next Monday. I told them that was not possible and that I really needed to be seen earlier than that. I was still holding back tears at this point and really needed to know answers before Monday. So, she got me an appointment for this (Thursday) morning. That day and a half were the LONGEST of my life. I could not think of anything else and made myself sick with worry!

The first thing we saw on the screen was that Mason was now head down!! I took this as a good sign and relaxed immediately. Dr. Weiss spent a while looking all around and taking LOTS of measurements. He looked at all Mason's organs, limbs and my levels...Bottom line is that Mason is just fine and we are doing great. He is a very big baby (Dr. Weiss's measurements show him at over 6 pounds already) and I do have a high level of fluid. The level is not in the danger zone just the cautious zone. This means that I will have even more ultrasounds in the next few weeks to watch his size and my levels (possibly one a week after 36 weeks)!

Even though I have always not wanted a C-Section, I am trying to tell myself that I am going to have one so that I have time to get used to the idea since it seems that it might be inevitable...

With the events of the past few days behind us it has really made me realize that I am so ready to have this little boy out, healthy and in my arms so I can watch him with my own eyes! Hopefully I will not have to wait to rest of my 7 weeks to meet him!

Here is the lastest picture of our big, HEALTHY baby boy :)
Photobucket

10 comments:

Greg, Melissa, and Luke said...

yay! so happy to read this news! I can't believe he just "decided" to turn in just a few days! He will be the cutest "big" boy. Did the doc. say anything about possibly delivering early?? I am sooo ready for Luke to be out too :)

The Bird Family said...

She has only mentioned a c-section at 39 weeks but we go back at 37 weeks to reevaluate and make a decision then!

ashleigha said...

We will be praying for you, God is in control and you and baby Mason will be just fine!!! Glad the ultrasound turned out ok, they have such a way of scaring us even before they arrive

Anonymous said...

I know it's different for everyone, but I had a section with Emily and I'm opting to have a scheduled one with this one. I had a great experience the first time around. I'm hoping my second goes as smoothly as the first. I'm also glad I get to have this one at 39 weeks. Due to the risk factors, it's much more appealing to me to have a scheduled one than to be "shoved" into an emergency one.

So glad he's flipped though!!!

Thought you'd want to hear a positive c-section story!

Travis and Natalie Riley said...

God is SOO good! I am so glad that Mason decided to turn around. I hope the next 7 weeks are much easier for you as you await your big boys arrival :)

kinsey said...

so glad he is healthy and you don't have to worry about it! and jealous that you might get to meet him early!!

Abigail said...

Wow - what an answer to prayer that he turned! I'm a potential high risk birth as well - I understand the anxiety! Know that I am praying for you and Mason!

She McCord said...

i am glad that your appointment with the high risk doctor went well. his little picture is super cute. just so you know, i had a c-section and it really isn't that bad. if you have any questions, just let me know! praying for your family!
joanna

Jennifer said...

Yeah! He turned! C-Sections are not bad at all! That's what I had to have and I'm so happy I did. No pain and I was up moving the next day, home the day after that! And it goes by SO fast! I delivered at 37 weeks, but the longer you can cook him, the better! My thoughts are with you!!

Anonymous said...

He will be just perfect! Can't wait to hear more!!